YouTube Shooting Suspect Posted Rants Against The Video-Streaming Platform

Share this article with other mums

A female suspect opened fire at the YouTube headquarters in California on Tuesday afternoon, wounding three people before she killed herself. The YouTube shooting suspect seems to have acted alone; officials say that she had no known connection to terrorism This comes in the midst of a huge debate around gun control in the US,

A female suspect opened fire at the YouTube headquarters in California on Tuesday afternoon, wounding three people before she killed herself. The YouTube shooting suspect seems to have acted alone; officials say that she had no known connection to terrorism

This comes in the midst of a huge debate around gun control in the US, most recently prompted by a school shooting in Florida that killed 17 people.

youtube shooting suspect

Source: NasimeSabz.com

What happened?

The woman had approached an outdoor patio and dining courtyard around lunchtime, and had started firing her handgun before entering the building.

1,700 people work at the YouTube headquarters.

She wounded a 36-year-old man and two women aged 32 and 27. The man is in critical condition. The 32-year-old woman is in serious condition, while the 27-year-old’s condition is fair.

The three wounded were taken to the Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital. A fourth person with an ankle injury was also taken to the hospital.

Several YouTube employees were tweeting about the attack as it was happening.

Todd Sherman, a Youtube product manager, tweeted that he first thought there was an earthquake when the floor started rumbling with so many people running to escape the building.

youtube shooting suspect

Source: Twitter

Who was the YouTube shooting suspect and why did she do this?

Female mass shooters are rare. Only three of 150 US shootings with more than four victims since 1966 were done by women.

BBC reports that the police has named the suspect as 39-year-old Nasim Aghdam. Though her motivations aren’t clear, Reuters reports that the woman had voiced complaints online about YouTube on the website NasimeSabz.com.

“There is no equal opportunity on YouTube or any other video sharing site,” she wrote on her site.

youtube shooting suspect

Source: NasimeSabz.com

She also complained about her YouTube revenue and claimed that the platform had been filtering her channels.

youtube shooting suspect

Source: NasimeSabz.com

Her YouTube, Instagram, and Facebook accounts have since been removed.

Google responds

YouTube is owned by Google, which is the area’s biggest employer.

“It’s with great sadness that I tell you – based on the latest information – four people were injured in this horrific act of violence,” Google Chief Executive Sundar Pichai said in letter to employees posted on Twitter.

“I know a lot of you are in shock right now. Over the coming days, we will continue to provide support to help everyone in our Google family heal from this unimaginable tragedy.”

 

What do you think of this tragic incident? Do you have any theories about the YouTube shooting suspect’s motives? Share them in the comments.

Here are some articles that you might also be interested in:

How Do You Make Money From YouTube?

The 10 Highest-Paid YouTube Stars Made $127 Million In 2017

Asian Man’s Passport Application Gets Rejected When Facial Recognition System Says His “Eyes Are Closed”

News